Table of Contents
WHAT IS KELOID INJECTION?
Keloid is a type of hypertrophic or raised scar as a result of the overgrowth of tissue at the site of a healed skin injury. Keloid is usually pinkish or reddish in color, shiny, firm, and can be itchy or even painful to touch. Keloid formation is very likely to happen bound to genetic predisposition. Today, we can treat Keloid with the injection of corticosteroid. Steroid injection will break the bond between collagen fibers which responsible for the overgrowth, to flatten the keloid. Please consult our Puriva Doctor to get more information on the treatment for Keloid.
HOW DO WE DO THE KELOID INJECTION?
After a thorough consultation with Puriva Doctor, then we are ready to do the treatment, with the following steps:
- The Nurse will clean the area of the treatment from make-up, sunblock, and dust.
- The Nurse will clean the area with an antiseptic (please let us know if you have an allergy to antiseptic or alcohol).
- The Doctor will inject the steroid into the keloid.
- The Nurse will apply a post-procedure antibiotic cream.
- The Nurse will cover the keloid post-procedure if needed.
That’s it and we are done!
WHAT SHALL YOU EXPECT AFTER KELOID INJECTION TREATMENT?
You might see the sudden change of color of the Keloid because of the steroid injection. Prolonged pain post-procedure is rare to happen.
WHAT TO DO OR NOT TO DO AFTER KELOID TREATMENT?
After this treatment, we will ask that you:
- Avoid too much sun for at least 72 hours post-procedure, always protect with sunblock at least SPF 30 and reapply if needed.
- Avoid touching or scratching the Keloid scars as it will reactivate it.
- Use a silicone sheath or gel to help to reduce the scar.
- That’s all.
WHEN CAN YOU SEE THE RESULT? SHOULD YOU REPEAT THE TREATMENT?
The result of this treatment shall show in 2-3 weeks after the injection, though repetition is mostly needed, depending on the size of the keloid. The other success factor of the treatment is the location of the keloid, the more mobile the area the more difficult the treatment is going to be.
Repetition of the injection is suggested in 4 weeks’ time.